At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with their connected devices and the digital world around them. We are creating a world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.
Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.
Join our Automotive team…intelligent systems now ready for the road. We are passionate about developing intelligent interfaces that enable people to talk to their cars, phones, devices, and other smart “things”.
The Nuance Cloud Services DEV team is responsible for designing and developing real-time, multi-modal, personal agent applications for some of the world’s largest phone, automobile and other smart devices manufacturers.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Principal Software Engineer to join a world-class team building server-side functionality that is at core of all Nuance's virtual agent applications powered by a diverse array of state-of-the-art technologies such as voice recognition, natural language understanding, big data, cloud computing, and more. The selected candidate will be responsible of developing and maintaining server-side components and frameworks, and have an impact on the evolution of a platform that is used by millions of users every day
Principal duties and responsibilities –
We are looking for a strong and motivated software technical leader. Your main responsibilities will be, however will not be limited to:
• Design, implement and support new and existing features and services in the Nuance Cloud Services (NCS) platform following an Agile Scrum process
• Lead junior and senior Developers on sophisticated technical solution
• Work on complex technical issues where analysis of situation requires in-depth evaluation of all sorts of technical/non-technical factors
• Select right technical methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results for the team he/she serves
• Collaborate with the QA engineers on test strategy definition
• Collaborate with the Deployment team on deployment and monitoring strategy
• Collaborate with the Doc team on official product documentation
• Help troubleshoot production issues (third level of support only)
Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and processes that you are responsible for securing
Knowledge, skills and qualifications –
Education: BS/MS University degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering, or equivalent.
Minimum years of work experience: Senior Principal Software engineer, 12+ years of experience for MS, 14+ years for BS.
• Strong problem-solving skills and an insatiable desire to learn new technologies
• Advanced Java EE programming skills
• Rich hands-on experience in object oriented design & development
• Rich experience with mobile client/server software architecture and SOA (Service-oriented Architecture), and familiarity to various Java frameworks for cloud services.
• Hands-on involvement in a large project with high-scalability / high-availability requirements
• Good knowledge of Unix/Linux OS and networking fundamental
• Good knowledge of databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Cassandra, etc.)
• Fluent in English, both written and spoken
• Team player and a desire to lead in complex technical tasks, and a desire to help others
Preferred skills: • Experience with Spring, Maven
• Familiarity with the "container ecosystem" e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
• Familiarity with monitoring technologies e.g. Graphite, ELK
• Experience with big data processing frameworks e.g. Hadoop/HBase, Storm, Spark
• Familiarity with Subversion, GitLab, Jira
• Scripting experience e.g. bash, shell, python
• Speech recognition industry experience
Nuance offers a compelling and rewarding work environment. We offer market competitive salaries, bonus, equity, benefits, meaningful growth and development opportunities and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our continuing success.